For the dumpling wrappers:
90g tapioca starch
½ teaspoon salt
180ml hot water
1 tablespoon oil
Cornstarch for dusting the work surface
For the dumpling filling:
7 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon ginger, minced
1 large onion, chopped
250g shiitake mushrooms, chopped
500g cabbage, finely shredded
150g cups carrot, finely shredded
50g spring onions, finely chopped
½ teaspoon white pepper
2 teaspoons sesame oil
3 tablespoons Shaoxing wine (or dry sherry)
2 tablespoons tamari (gluten free soy sauce)
1 teaspoon sugar
salt (to taste)
- Whisk together the flour and salt in a bowl. Pour in the hot water and mix with chopsticks until the liquid has been absorbed by the flour.
- Place the dough on a working surface and knead with your hands for about 3-5 minutes until a smooth, soft dough forms. Then form the dough into a ball, wrap it tightly in cling film and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Whilst the dough chills, prepare the filling. In a wok or large frying pan over medium high heat, add 3 tablespoons oil and add the ginger. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant. Add the onions and stir-fry until translucent.
- Add the chopped mushrooms and stir-fry for another 3-5 minutes, until the mushrooms are tender and any liquid released by the mushrooms has cooked off.
- Add the cabbage and carrots and stir-fry for another 2 minutes, until the veggies are tender and all the liquid released has been cooked off. Transfer the vegetable mixture to a large mixing bowl and allow to cool.
- To the bowl, add the chopped chives, white pepper, sesame oil, shaoxing wine, tamari, and sugar. Season with salt to taste, and stir in the last 4 tablespoons of oil.
- After the chill time, divide the dough into two pieces. Wrap one piece in cling foil again and put it back in the refrigerator to prevent it from drying out. Roll out the other piece on a lightly floured work surface to be about 2 mm.
- To make gyoza wrapper, cut out circles, using a round glass or cookie cutter (approx. 8-10-cm diameter).
- Add a tablespoon of the filling to the centre of the dough, fold in half and pleat. Continue until you’ve run out of filling and/or dough.
- To cook the dumplings, steam them or pan-fry them. To steam, put the dumplings in a steamer lined with a bamboo mat, cabbage leaf, or cheese cloth, and steam for 15-20 minutes.
- To pan-fry, heat 2 tablespoons oil in a non-stick pan over medium high heat. Place the dumplings in the pan and allow to fry for 2 minutes. Pour a thin layer of water into the pan, cover, and reduce heat to medium-low. Allow dumplings to steam until the water has evaporated. Remove the cover, increase heat to medium-high and allow to fry for a few more minutes, until the bottoms of the dumplings are golden brown and crisp.
- Serve with your favourite sauce and enjoy!