An organic, gluten free take on the British classic scones and jam, made with our best-selling Organic Rice Flour.
½ tsp fine salt
1 tsp xanthan gum
1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
50g caster sugar
40g cold butter , cubed
75ml whole milk
1 large egg and 1 egg yolk
- Mix the flour, salt, xanthan gum, baking powder and sugar together in a bowl. Rub in the butter with your fingertips until you have fine breadcrumbs. You can also do this by gradually pulsing the mixture in a food processor until it resembles breadcrumbs.
- Whisk together the milk and whole egg and gradually mix into the flour mixture with your hands until you have a smooth dough. Mix in the sultanas. Knead briefly to come together into a ball.
- Gently roll out the scone dough until 2cm thick. Transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment and chill for 30 mins to firm up the dough, making it easier to cut out.
- Heat oven to 220°C.
- Remove the dough from the fridge and, using a 5cm cutter, cut out 6-8 scones. Put the scones upside down (this will mean you get a neater top when baked) onto another baking tray lined with baking parchment, spread 2cm apart.
- Whisk the egg yolk and evenly brush the tops of the scones. Put the scones on a tray and transfer to the freezer for 15 mins.
- Remove the scones from the freezer and brush the tops with the beaten egg again, then bake for 12-15 mins until golden brown.
- Eat warm or cold, generously topped with jam and cream.