For the cake:
1 box Amisa Organic Chocolate Cake Mix
100ml milk (or plant milk)
225g of softened butter (or dairy free butter)
For the icing:
675g icing sugar
45g cocoa powder (ensure dairy free if necessary)
65g butter, softened (dairy free alternative if necessary)
2 tsp vanilla extract
125ml milk (or plant milk)
Icing sugar (for dusting)
- Prepare your swiss roll tin or shallow rectangular baking tin by greasing it and then placing baking paper onto it. Make sure it fits really well as you want the full shape of the tin.
- Preheat your oven to 200°C (180°C fan).
- Prepare the cake mix according to the instructions on the box.
- Spoon the mixture into your tin, ensuring it spreads right to the edges and is even.
- Bake in the oven for about 9 minutes. The sponge should have come away a little bit from the sides of the tin and be slightly risen.
- Remove the sponge from the oven and very carefully turn it onto another piece of baking paper on a flat surface. Carefully peel off the baking paper that was on the bottom of it in the oven.
- Cut off a tiny slither of each edge to make them all straight and even and lightly score a line along the longest side (about an inch or 2.5cm in). Now, whilst the sponge is still warm, roll the sponge up with the paper inside it as you roll. Put your rolled up sponge to one side and leave it to cool completely whilst still rolled.
- Whilst your sponge cools, make your icing. Add all your ingredients to a bowl and sift in the icing sugar and cocoa powder.
- Using an electric mixer/whisk or by hand, mix on low and then increase to a higher speed as it all comes together. If it’s not coming together, add some extra milk very slowly.
- Now to put the Yule Log together. Carefully unroll and remove the baking paper.
- Spread a layer of about 1cm thick of your icing on the unrolled sponge (I leave about a half cm gap around the edge). Carefully roll the sponge back up and transfer it to the serving board.
- Cover the rolled up sponge with the remaining icing and use a fork or sharp knife to go over it to make a wood like pattern. Dust with icing sugar to finish.
- Cut the ends off to reveal your swirl and enjoy!