150g raw cashews
250ml low-sodium veggie stock, more as needed
1 finely chopped onion
2 small courgettes, sliced into thick half moons
180g tomato sauce
1 tablespoon dried Italian spice blend
1 tablespoon chilli powder
4 large handfuls (100g) fresh spinach
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
optional: 1/2 teaspoon liquid smoke
- Start by making the cashew milk. Blend the cashews with 700ml water in a high speed blender until smooth and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil for your pasta and cook according to the packet instructions. Make sure to salt your water well so the pasta is well seasoned.
- Meanwhile, add the onion and stock to a large saucepan over medium heat. Once it begins to simmer, cook for 5 mins and then add the courgette and salt. Stir well and cover, turning the heat down to medium-low.
- Let it cook for about 8 minutes until the courgette is tender and most of the stock has been absorbed. Check it a couple of times to stir it and make sure there is enough stock.
- Once the courgette is tender, temporarily remove the pan from the heat and add the cashew milk, tomato sauce, Italian spices, chilli powder, salt, pepper and liquid smoke (if using).
- Stir well and add the spinach. Return back to the heat over medium heat.
- Stir the spinach until it wilts down and the sauce thickens a bit. You want it fairly creamy but it should be thick, not watery.
- Taste the sauce and add more salt or chilli powder if desired. I used the full 1 tablespoon chilli powder and loved the perfect kick of heat and chilli flavour. Remove from heat.
- The pasta should be done. Drain and mix pasta into the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy!