1 tbsp ground flax seeds
3 tbsp water
300ml unsweetened plant-based milk
2 ¼ tsp active dry yeast
4 tbsp coconut sugar (plus 1 tsp)
2 tbsp vegetable oil
½ tsp apple cider vinegar
2 tsp lemon zest, grated
2 tsp orange zest, grated
¾ tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp gluten free baking powder
¾ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground nutmeg
½ tsp salt
For the topping
1 tbsp apricot jam
1 ½ tsp water
40g icing sugar
⅛ tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp unsweetened plant-based milk
- Line a 9×9 inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Prepare the flax egg by whisking together the ground flax seeds and water in a small bowl. Set aside to thicken.
- In a separate medium bowl, add the yeast, 1 tsp sugar and 300ml plant-based milk. Stir and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In another large bowl, add the flour, xanthan gum, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt, and 4 tbsp sugar. Whisk until everything has combined, and set aside.
- Once the yeast has risen, add the flax egg, oil, apple cider vinegar, lemon zest, and orange zest to the yeast mixture and stir.
- Pour the yeast mixture into the flour mixture and gently whisk for 3 minutes.
- Add the raisins and currants and mix until they have been evenly distributed into the dough.
- Remove the dough from the bowl and separate into 9 balls using your hands. Be sure that your hands are well-oiled when shaping the buns – the dough is sticky! Carefully place them into the prepared baking tray, leaving a small space between each one.
- Cover the baking tray with a kitchen towel and place it in a warm, draft-free area to proof for 1 hour.
- Just before one hour has passed, preheat the oven to 180/160°C fan.
- Bake for 25 minutes. Remove the tray from the oven, place on a cooling rack and allow to sit for 10 minutes.
- To make the apricot glaze, add apricot jam and water to a small pan, and gently heat on the hob for 3 minutes, or until hot.
- After the buns have been out of the oven for 10 minutes, brush each one with the apricot glaze. Set aside to cool completely.
- Add the icing sugar, vanilla extract and unsweetened plant-based milk to a small bowl. Mix well until combined to form a thick icing.
- Place the icing into a piping bag fitted with a small, round tip.
- Once the buns have fully cooled, pipe the icing onto the buns to form the crosses (a horizontal line and vertical line on each bun). Pair with a cuppa and enjoy with friends and family!’