Nutty, delicious, healthy and gluten free vegan snickers bars! Need we say more...you're going to want to make these, trust us!
For the date ‘caramel’ layer
- 1 cup Medjool Dates (if not medjool, soak them first so they are squidgy)
- 2 tbsp Peanut Butter
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- ¼ tsp Salt (skip this if your peanut butter is salted)
For the Oaty Base:
- ⅔ cup Amisa Porridge oats (blended into a fine oat flour in your blender)
- ¼ cup of the date caramel (from above!)
- ⅓ cup Roasted Peanuts (we like the salted kind)
- 125g dark chocolate
- Transfer the pitted dates to a large bowl and cover with hot water. Soak for 5-10 minutes, to soften. You can also just cover the dates in water and microwave for 80 seconds to save time. Drain the dates, but reserve the water.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the dates to a food processor with the peanut butter, vanilla, and salt. Process until thick and smooth. If the mixture is too thick, gradually add in the reserved date water until you get an evenly smooth mixture.
- Remove the date “caramel” from the food processor. Add the oat flour to the food processor (no need to rinse) with the date caramel and process until well incorporated. This should form a slightly sticky “dough” that will hold together when you pinch it.
- Firmly and evenly press the oaty base mixture into the lined baking tray. Use a spatula to spread the remaining caramel evenly over the base, then sprinkle the peanuts on top. Press the peanuts into the caramel layer, so that they stick. Place this in the freezer for 60 to 90 minutes, until firm.
- Once everything has set, remove the frozen mixture from the baking tray, and use a sharp knife to cut it into bars. Return these to the freezer while you melt your chocolate.
- Break the chocolate into pieces, and place in a bowl. Microwave at 30 second intervals, stirring in between until melted.
- Remove the bars from the freezer. Moving quickly, place one of the bars into the bowl of melted chocolate. Use two forks to “flip” the bar, until it is coated in chocolate on all sides. Remove the bar from the melted chocolate, letting any excess chocolate drip off. Then, place it onto a baking sheet and repeat with the remaining bars.
- Place the bars in the fridge for 20 minutes, to allow the chocolate to harden. These vegan snicker bars are best stored in the refrigerator and will last there for up to 10 days. You can also place them in the freezer, where they will last for up to one month – just let the bars thaw for 5 minutes before enjoying.