For the cake:
35g unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp sea salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp ground ginger
175g pitted dates, soaked in water for 30 minutes, and 120ml of the water reserved
60ml avocado oil or olive oil
1 tbsp vanilla extract
240ml orange juice, at room temperature
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
65g grated carrot
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
300g vegan soft cheese, at room temperature
90g vegan unsalted butter, at room temperature
225g icing sugar, sifted
For the Carrot Curls:
2 large carrots, peeled
200g granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/170°C fan/375°F and line two cake tins with baking paper.
- Whisk the Amisa Organic Quinoa Flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, sea salt, ginger, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- Place the dates, reserved water, oil, orange juice, and vanilla extract into a blender, and blitz until smooth. Whisk this mixture into the flour mixture until well blended.
- Whisk in the apple cider vinegar until bubbles form, and then fold in the carrots and chopped dark chocolate. Transfer the cake batter to the prepared tins and bake the cakes for about 30 minutes.
- Cool the cakes completely on a cooling rack.
- While the cakes are cooling, make the carrot curls. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and use a flat-bladed peeler to peel long strips from the carrots.
- Place the sugar in a medium saucepan with 200ml water and heat gently, stirring until it dissolves.
- Once the sugar has dissolved, add 5-6 carrot strips, increase the heat to high and let them bubble for 5 minutes. Remove the carrot strips with tongs and place them in a single layer on the lined baking tray and bake for 8-10 minutes.
- Carefully and quickly lift the carrot strips off the tray and twist them around the handle of a wooden spoon. They will harden almost immediately into curls.
- Remove the set curls to a plate and repeat the whole process with the remaining carrot until you have enough curls to decorate the top.
- Make the cream cheese frosting by combining the ingredients in a bowl and whisking until smooth.
- To assemble the cake, put one of the completely cooled cakes on a serving dish or cake stand and spread the cream cheese frosting on top. Put the second cake on top and finish the cake with the carrot curls.